Subscribe

RSS Feed (xml)

Powered By

Skin Design:
Free Blogger Skins

Powered by Blogger

“Somewhere behind the competitor you’ve become, the practices, the people who pushed you, the races you have competed in, the long time dedication, and the friendships you have made along the way, there’s a little boy who fell in love with the race; do it for him….”

Monday, March 3, 2008

Roller Coaster

Wow! Being a former theatre geek and baby boy of my family I can be a bit dramatic at times. However it won't stop me from going on about the roller coaster of the past week or so.

It started last Friday with a trip to the dermatologist to recheck a really nasty "rash" I've had since the new year began. It's a series of nasty red spots I've gotten nearly everywhere on my body. At first it was a bit of a nuisance but lately it's really had me down and feeling something was really wrong. After lots of going round and round, light therapy, creams, antibiotic prescriptions and more it had basically gotten worse. The doctor informed me that I had PLEVA. It was acute for now but could be a chronic case of lymphocytes acting funny and if it continued to be chronic (remember I have the acute case) could lead to problems with the skin and seems to be more prevalent in people with lymphoma. NOT READY TO HEAR THAT! I spent a lot of the morning crying- no real danger just a reminder that sometimes I'm not the healthiest of folks.
After working though the slight depression I began the next week with a HUGE bike wattage test- best numbers I've ever put out. VERY exciting. The next day I ROCKED the water at my first group swim in awhile- I was pulling away from some really good athletes - it was very exciting. Later that day I went to get my bike refit at Gear West. We got it pretty much nailed down but things just felt a little off with my new bike- it's like new shoes - they may fit really well but you still need to get used to them. Thursday of that week my red spots were bright and shiny for a day of 4 workouts with one being a new strength session I promised to go to. It was really great but EXCRUCIATING - in my heart I knew it would effect me for days but I hoped for the best. Micki and I had a fun date that night and everything seemed great.
The next day I had a nice day off- felt ummmmm ok but the girls stayed home with me and I had to try to get some work done (my fault for leaving it). The whole day tore at my heart trying to do everything and just running on empty. Micki was gone until almost 10 at night and I was just drained. Micki had class again on Sat. so I got up at 5:00 and went to the studio alone to swim. Once again the whole day I tried to get some things done but was torn by needed girls and really wanting to give them ALL of my heart and attention the while waiting for Micki to get home so I could train another 3 hours. She got home around 5:00 and I began but just had NOTHING! My goal this year is to be a bit smarter about bad days so I pushed off my biggest training day of the year so far for Sunday.
I really wanted the family to be at church and couldn't get up early enough to get anything in so I thought I'd get my work in between church and Grandma's birthday party. Got to try and ride outside but was so uncomfortable and weak on my bike I gave up on the workout. With a push from my wife I did go out for a little test run to see if it was as bad as thought. The run went quite well- I felt a bit better. Later that night I got back on my bike to try and finish. Just didn't have it and there was no way I was going back outside to run with freezing rain.
Today I woke up with that all too familiar pit in my stomach. It seems since I've stopped teaching I just feel a bit lost- the schedule is just so variable and it leaves me a bit unproductive.
I did spend some good time reading my yearlong bible and praying. I downloaded the sermon that turned my year around last Jan. and listened to it while I rode. WOW - the legs were back and I felt confident again! The Lord does test us but I once again feel that sense of purpose for this season.
God's peace to you.

11 comments:

SingletrackJenny (formerly known as IronJenny) said...

Great job on the swim!
About your bike, yeah, you do probably just have to spend some time getting used to the feel of it. Maybe an interesting podcast and a low-ish effort bike will give you some muscle memory and then it will fit like a glove for your next hard-ish bike.
We're gone the 10th - the 20th, but if you want a quick run sometime while the girls are napping, call me - I'll swing by. I don't pick up Bobby and Ally until 3:15 M-F.
:-)
Jenny
Psalm 10:17

Iron Girl Nyhus said...

Don't you love how Jenny is giving you training advice :) LOVE IT!!!!!! Glad you were able to get out for that run to feel a bit better. We too are always up for watching the kids... we could have Zurich and Kona have a play date-I think that would leave everyone ready for a nap.

Spokane Al said...

When we have a tough day on the bike, we back off and go for a run - a true triathlete solution, although some of the masses would probably have a different word for it, it definitely works for us.

Keep rocking and living buddy!

Comm's said...

Hey John, been hearing your name amongst the 'trees' and thought I would look you up finally.

That is really tough about your roller coaster week. I've had similar this winter, with a concussion and a nasty flu. Its not near your level but all of us have a common denominator of frustration when it comes to missing training or being drained for days.

Stay positive and pour into others as best you can. I find giving is the best medicine for recovery.

DV said...

Persistence always prevails.

You won this battle; that, of course, will make your next that much easier... Cheers, DV

faithrunner said...

I think you're amazing! For me,a runner and just about to do my first tri, I look to anyone who has completed an Ironman with awe and envy. I'm astonished by the amount of hours that goes into the training and the body's ability to push through agonizing hours of activity. Of course you'll have days of pain, depression, torture, fatigue, happiness, joy, triumph but in the end, you can look back and see ALL that you've accomplished! Keep up the great work! God will continue to find ways to bless you in your workouts, sometimes it's hard to find them while other times He puts them right in your face. Keep smiling. :)
Lora

Carrie said...

Grind the uphills and coast the downhills...better than riding the flats all the time (and usually more fun)!

Fe-lady said...

Glad you are feeling a little better and that this skin thing is just temporary and you will be bouncing back to feeling 100% soon!
Now, If I were Jenny's neighbor, I would help out watching the kids too as I retired last year from 32 years in the public schools and am choosing to work only two days a week this year!
It's quite enough, believe me!
Thinking of you! (Jenny sent me BTW)

Tim said...

I'm a blogging buddy of Fe-Lady's and recent recipient of well wishes from Jenny so I wanted to pass it forward and wish you the best with a quote I've treasured for many years:

“Adversity has its compensation; that in falling and in failing, we rise.” – Mark Helprin

Take care.

Tim

monica said...

ironjenny sent me too!! i hope to read about your quick recovery from this temp skin stuff. ouch!! i'm not particularly religious in that i don't have any scripture memorized, but i like what my grandma always says, "god only gives you what he knows you can handle."

stay strong and keep up the good work balancing family with training!!!

TriBoomer a.k.a. Brian said...

John,

Today I found the list of the names of the people I carried with me over the Ironman Wisconsin course and guess who is the first name on the list? Yep, it's yours.

Sooooo.... it's high time that I have you a shout and let you know your blog encourages and inspires me. I find your writing to be strong yet humble. A rare combination these days.

I've been having my share of bike diffulties and reading that you have them too and are working to get better let's me know that we... (although you're at the front of the pack and I'm at the back)... have a commonality in our struggles and desire to do well.

Hang in there and keep fighting the good fight.

Stay tuned...