Subscribe

RSS Feed (xml)

Powered By

Skin Design:
Free Blogger Skins

Powered by Blogger

“Somewhere behind the competitor you’ve become, the practices, the people who pushed you, the races you have competed in, the long time dedication, and the friendships you have made along the way, there’s a little boy who fell in love with the race; do it for him….”

Tuesday, June 3, 2008

New Goal

I have a new goal (with some pressure but in a good way) of making a post on my blog each week. We'll see how it goes.

For now a quick recap of the last couple weeks. It's really been a lot of highs and lows. The story of life I suppose. After my best performance at Gear West Duathlon I was flying high. Still having some work to do during the week, I was still excited to go into Apple Du 5 days later and see what would happen. Admittedly not as fresh as I'd like the race actually went quite well.

The first run of apple was really amazing and fun. We had a few more big runners in the field and the second group packed up nicely with the giant Ellingson twins and D Train leading the way into the sharp wind. We didn't seem to be loosing a lot to the leaders about 1/2 way through but then DKT and Sam put it down and gained significant time on us the last mile. Regardless things were looking good. I passed D Train early in the bike and set us up once again to battle it out and legally help each other but pushing each others' pace and battling it out with several passes. I ended up leading a charge into the wind the last few miles and in prime fashion Dan came around to lead into transition. Coming out and up the hill I was having to really work to catch Dan. He backed off a little and we ended up running the rest of the way together. At first we flew but as we realized no one was close we began to settle and really dogged the last mile. We talked about some scenarios but I was disappointed in my willingness to just concede. I truly believe if we would have raced it in hard Dan would have still beaten me but I don't do either of us any favors, or make us better, by just pushing cruise control. Needless to say I ended up 3rd but was still super happy with how the du season went. I was super pumped to start TRI SEASON!

Next up was Pigman Sprint. If you really want to know how I feel about it read Midwest Events Magazine in July/August on handling disappointment. I did not rest well at all the entire week and the lack of sleep and added stress caught up with me big time. In a race I really felt like on a good day I would have been 2nd, bad day 3rd I was 6th. Out of the money and with a big points hit for the teams' season points. The swim was pretty good. Bike felt really off and the run was HORRIBLE- no legs at all. I'm VERY disappointed in my discipline this week. I came in very tired, a couple pounds heavy and it showed!! My apologies to my family, my sponsors and my Lord. I did not take care of my end of the bargain and it's all on me! But it's all about forgiveness and perseverance. I'm pretty good and the bounce back!
Next week is another day- I'll be ready! A really cool side note. I actually got to hand out a Fellowship of Christian athletes card to someone who noticed my fish tattoos I wear at each race. The Lord works in mysterious ways.

As always big ups and mad props to God, my family, friends and ROME, GEARWEST, FCA and SCS Multisport!

5 comments:

juliemac said...

i look forward to reading your weekly blog!
Congrats on Apple Du!!
So, are you saying that PAN of brownies that I just made for THE KIDS could have a negative impact on my race this week?? bummer........but they were so much fun making and taste so good.
Discipline is over rated!!
You'll always be a SUPERSTAR in my book!!
Keep on keepin on coach JOHN.

Shannon said...

Dennis may comment later, but I wanted to comment too. :)

I am sorry you had a difficult race last weekend, but you did not let anyone down, especially our Lord. He has given you great talent and you are using it and glorifying Him in the process. I really admire that. I'm sure you planted a seed with that FCA person too, which is awesome.

I hope you're able to get some good rest this week. Good luck escaping from Alcatraz. :)

Shannon Dane

Cy said...

John-With your good spirit, I can't imagine you could let anyone down. Keep your head high and get ready to rock in SF.

I put a photo of you Julie and I on my blog!!

Thanks for being such an inspiration.

SingletrackJenny (formerly known as IronJenny) said...

Dude - you let no one down, especially God! you're one of His favorites!
;-)

Anonymous said...

OK, what happened to this once a week thing?