Subscribe

RSS Feed (xml)

Powered By

Skin Design:
Free Blogger Skins

Powered by Blogger

“Somewhere behind the competitor you’ve become, the practices, the people who pushed you, the races you have competed in, the long time dedication, and the friendships you have made along the way, there’s a little boy who fell in love with the race; do it for him….”

Saturday, August 23, 2008

FUN


"This is fun!". A quote from friend and elite amateur triathlete Chad Milner during today's Kingswood Off-Road Tri. It was REALLY great to be able to volunteer at a race, watch my wife rock in her first off-road race and see all the JOY on peoples' faces! What a wonderful reminder of what we are all out there for.

As Louisville approaches next weekend I've found myself very reflective about how I've gotten to this point. Right now triathlon is OK. Don't get me wrong, I'm VERY grateful for the opportunities I've had, not only this season, but my entire life. It doesn't stop the disappointment I feel. Not so much for the poor results (those hurt too) but the loss of happiness, fun and pure joy in the sport. I attribute it to a schedule TOO full, a life TOO busy and expectations TOO high. I'm very excited to make a change next year. It's not that I won't race. However, instead of arranging my life around triathlon I will arrange triathlon around my life. It's my hope that with the proper priorities the ability to compete hard without hesitation and the pure joy will return.

I will try to blog a bit more this week while at Ironman Louisville. I'm excited, feeling pretty good and hoping against all odds to pull out the best race of my life.
Nothing like the pure joy of girls and kittens!
God Bless you ALL

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good Luck at Louisville! I know you will do great...have FUN :)
-JEN

SingletrackJenny (formerly known as IronJenny) said...

Have fun in Lousiville - and yes, Micki did rock that course! All smiles as usual. Great seeing you all yesterday - Q and CA are getting so big! Ally had a great time with them... I have to take them swimming this week if it gets a little warmer.

juliemac said...

Right ON!
That tri was FUN (from a volunteer's perspective) and Micki did ROCK! Lots more mountain biking to be had!!
Have a great time this weekend and ENJOY!!

juliemac said...

john-
I am emailing you some pictures of Micki looking Awesome at the Tri for you to POST on your blog.