Subscribe

RSS Feed (xml)

Powered By

Skin Design:
Free Blogger Skins

Powered by Blogger

“Somewhere behind the competitor you’ve become, the practices, the people who pushed you, the races you have competed in, the long time dedication, and the friendships you have made along the way, there’s a little boy who fell in love with the race; do it for him….”

Sunday, January 20, 2008

BRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR


As I prepared for my long run this morning I contemplated how to achieve this seemingly daunting task. Driving down to the studio was out of the question with my three girls waiting for me at home. It was -13 and we won't mention the windchill. I actually considered getting a membership to the brand new Snap Fitness one block from my house so I could use a treadmill. In this process I dressed for indoor running then layered cold weather run gear overtop, planning to run past Snap or 24 hour Fitness (crazy in a tiny town we have both) and popping in. As I dressed something snapped inside me and it was decided- I'm running this 1:30 OUTSIDE!!
It began fairly well. Certainly there were bits and pieces that cooled but came back to warmth as I ran. Feeling the ice build on my eye lashes was a fun feeling and when I hit certain patches in the trial I actually felt warm. All in all it seemed the "professional" thing to do by finishing the entire run outside. It was certainly a character builder and a step in the direction of my goal of being truly professional this season. I want to bring honor to my family, my sponsors and glorify God by racing with all my heart this season. Here's hoping.
Have a warm day!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I can't believe you ran outside! You are my hero! I on the other hand wouldn't have even attempted it...I'm a baby!

SingletrackJenny (formerly known as IronJenny) said...

No way. 10 above is my limit! There were a couple Gear Westers that went out, though... I've been known to put in 18 miles on a dreadmill rather than go out in that cold.

Unknown said...

Hmmm.. This looks like Alaska. I ran at -25 to -30 F last (and this) year! Skied then too. When it's always that cold you just buck up and go outside. Cold and out in the fresh air beats the treadmill any day!