Subscribe

RSS Feed (xml)

Powered By

Skin Design:
Free Blogger Skins

Powered by Blogger

“Somewhere behind the competitor you’ve become, the practices, the people who pushed you, the races you have competed in, the long time dedication, and the friendships you have made along the way, there’s a little boy who fell in love with the race; do it for him….”

Saturday, January 26, 2008

ICTN Camp

Many of you know but some do not I'm down in Arizona this weekend coaching, leading and learning at the International Christian Triathlon Network's 3 rd anual Triathlon Camp. It has been a blessing in so many ways. Mom and Dad are down here for the winter and getting to spend some time with them by myself has been wonderful. Mom and I took a 1 mile walk on Thursday, talked and had a great time. I love my mom. She's an inspiration in spirit, humility and walking what you talk. She's just a good person.

I was a bit nervous about coming down here. At times my faith can be a struggle and I falter a lot. With this in mind it was nerve racking to come down here with so many strong believers and try to "fake it". Something wonderful happened- I didn't have to!!! The Lord has shown me every minute- why I am here, what he wants from me (ok well not everything but lots of stuff) and reaffirmed that my passion for this crazy sport and lifestyle is of his design and will ultimately bring him glory. All the pastors and speakers have been extremely moving to me but tonite was particularly moving because we were basically challenged (after a long story about the pastor struggling with this same problem) to put our season in God's hands and let him decide,through prayer and reflectiong, how or what we should race or if we should even race at all. I was extremely nervous because I've never been to good and listening to God and was really afraid this whole time (since I hadn't really asked or listened) this season may not be what God had really wanted from me. WONDERFUL NEWS- not that I "heard God speak" or anything but this overwhelming feeling of reflection came over me- all the people I've met , the inspiration I've gathered and even training tips I've recieved have led me to believe God wants me right here, right now and my season will be truly blessed for his glory- I'm pretty pumped!

The great people I've met have been wonderful. Chris Lieto, Jamie Whitmore (xterra world champ), Steve Born from Hammer Nutrition (who has offerd to totally tweak my nutrition and believes it can really make a difference), and Kirk Nelson (fellow pro) have all helped and inspired me to believe all things are possible and even crazy dreams like somehow qualifying for Hawaii at IM Louisville can actaully happen by God's grace if you only believe (and train) with all your might. I've heard this a million times but is has never sunk in until this weekend. I vow to let go, let God, believe and drive forward with all my might!
PS.
Getting to ride the new DA outside has been a true blessing, I also ran/ hiked up Camel Back Mountain and even swam in the unheated pool (about 50 degrees). I just really feel like a pro here.

May God bless all of you for his glory!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I can't wait to come cheer you on in Hawaii!!!

Amy Jurrens said...

I would bet that you touched many lives this week as well. ICTN sounds like a fantastic organization. I'm all for anything that supports and uplifts people instead of tearing down.

When I witnessed IM Arizona, I realized how triathlon brings people face-to-face with their own humanity. Only strength from God can be credited with keeping people from giving up. I once said "If you've witnessed the birth of your child, you have no doubt as to the existence of God." I should change that to "If you've witnessed an Ironman, you have no doubt as to the existence of God."

You keep training and we (your supporters) will keep praying for you to receive the strength you need.

Ma Monster said...

God is so personal. He meets us where we are: picking up the kids from school, driving home, bone tired at the end of a work day, or rushing out the door to the gym for your daily workout. Our full schedules do not affect His presnece in our lives. He is right there, just waiting for you to take a few minutes to talk to Him. He is right here, so that he can give you a glimmer of hope or a nugget of wisdom. Or, a nudge, when you aren't quite sure that He is by your side helping you to acheive those goals that you think you set out to achieve without His guidance. He's with you John, or you would never have gotten THIS far without His love, and His approval. He's in your corner!

Anonymous said...

John, You bless and inspire more people than you will ever know, and I am thankful to be your Teammate! I look forward to watching the Lord work in and through your life over the coming season.

Anonymous said...

John - you are an awesome man of God. Thank you for your report on the ICTN tri camp. I was moved to tears to read that you held out your season to God with an open hand, listened, and heard him say...in so many words....Go For It. I'll be praying you this season. Race for His glory and remember - God honors those who honor Him.
Lincoln

SingletrackJenny (formerly known as IronJenny) said...

Great post John!
So awesome to see you blogging - you have much to say, and you do inspire so many. I will pray for you to have strength and focus in this training season. When you tire, remember He has His hand on your back and loves being with you when you race for Him.
Jenny

Iron Girl Nyhus said...

Hi John,
Love your blog! Great post... it isn't always easy to let go and let God but definitely feels good when we do :) Have a great rest of your trip... God's proud to have you racing on His team.

Laura