Subscribe

RSS Feed (xml)

Powered By

Skin Design:
Free Blogger Skins

Powered by Blogger

“Somewhere behind the competitor you’ve become, the practices, the people who pushed you, the races you have competed in, the long time dedication, and the friendships you have made along the way, there’s a little boy who fell in love with the race; do it for him….”

Sunday, February 10, 2008

Best foot forward

Each time I come to a workout there's a question I ask myself. Why? As a coach I know that a workout without a purpose is simply some nice exercise. When the question is easily answered it's also very ez to do. If , however, the question is not so easy- well that's when it's ez , to quote Mater from Cars, "ta not to".
This morning I was once agin asking the question as I stared at the TV (that said it was -14 F outside) and pondered my upcoming BRRRRR run part 2. Two hours of ez to aerobic running with no indoor option. I certainly tried to figure out a way "ta not to". Was it healthy? Was it worth it? It was hard for only a short while. As I have stated before, this season is about honoring and glorifying God. It was brought to even clearer light later tonite during our FCA huddle when we talked about being temples of God and when I put my oldest to bed and told her God loves her through her family and friends. So honoring God also means honoring my family, my coaches, my competitors, my friends... Needless to say it was much easier to get out the door than the last time.
As I ran it was hard at first. Workouts have been going well but due to the volume it's been tough at the beginning many times. Each step felt a little better. My mind began to drift to the upcoming season. I have BIG goals. With those goals come certain paces that have to happen. As I went over some paces for my biggest goal , IM Louisville and a bid to qualify as a pro, I began to realize just how massive this goal was. The weight of it began to wear on me. Then something hit me. Goals are great but we all truly have limits. So many times in racing and life all we can do is push it to the limit, have hope in our hearts and let God sort out the rest. Thus at that very moment my goals changed. Don't get me worng - my goal remains the same but at the same time different. My goal is now the HOW of any future accomplishment. I will make myself the best at each discipline I can. I will go into each race not with an end goal in the front of my mind but the back. My fore most thought will be doing the best I can each step, to push threshold at every distance I do. If I do that its the best shot I have to glorify God, my wife , daughters, friends and competitors in all I do.

My hope is that all of you find a way to honor others and each other in what you do. It certianly makes things like training easier and more worth while.

Peace

1 comment:

Iron Girl Nyhus said...

Greg said he really enjoyed the topic last night. That gives us all something important to think about.